Leaky roofs are one of the most common reasons for water damage in South Florida homes. It’s important to watch out for signs that you may have a leak and take measures to prevent leaks before you have an expensive problem on your hands. Here are six simple steps you can follow to keep your roof leak-free:
- Check Your Gutters – This is one of the easiest ways to prevent a source of roof leaks. Cleaning your gutters is essential because it removes debris that could block the downspouts, therefore causing leaks around the house. Set a calendar reminder to do this a few times a year, especially during the rainy season.
- Look for Missing Shingles – Severe weather can shift shingles or tiles around or remove them completely, so if you notice any damaged or missing shingles or tiles, contact a reputable roofer like ourselves to investigate further. When out of place, water can seep through the roof easier causing damage.
- Check Flashing – Check your stucco walls for cracks which can allow water to penetrate to your flashing and under your roof. The flashing around vents and pipes can also potentially develop leaks where the seams are present, so it’s recommended you check these often to prevent larger leaks.
- Check Your Fascia for Water Stains – The easiest way to locate active leaks on your home is to walk around your home and look for brown drip stains on your fascia. These brown drip stains are a discoloration from your underlayment and are a sign your roof is leaking. The majority of roof leaks do not show up inside your home and the longer the leaks are active the more damage it will cause to your roof and your home.
- Trim Trees – Keep trees trimmed and free from hanging over the roof if possible. Moss debris can clog gutters and cause mold buildup, while falling branches can dent or puncture the roof.
- Don’t Procrastinate – The best advice we can offer is to NEVER delay a roof leak repair. If there are visible signs of a leak on your roof or water damage inside your house, call an expert immediately! With water damage, the issue could escalate quickly.
Spotting and preventing leaks in your South Florida home has never been easier with Native Roofing on your side. Contact us immediately at 954-236-9986 for more information about roof leak repairs and general maintenance to ensure your roofs in top shape!